Friday, June 12, 2015

The Axeman Speaks, June 11, 2015: The many faces of The American Dream


I was actually working on another column when I looked at a post on Facebook about the death of one of the all time greats in pro wrestling, Dusty Rhodes. So that column is on hold so I can write this one.

By now it is no secret that Dusty Rhodes has passed away. Numerous tributes have been written, so I am not going to be repetitive. Here are a few personal thoughts and memories of Dusty Rhodes.

Years ago, when I was just a kid, Dusty Rhodes passed through Fritz Von Erich's Big Time Wrestling, which was the forerunner to World Class Wrestling. The first time I remember seeing Dusty Rhodes was on the old, black & white TV in our kitchen. He had just arrived on the scene and was on the TV running his mouth, when Fritz walked up and said, "Welcome to Texas, Dirty Dusty Rhodes." Well, Rhodes did not appreciate being called "Dirty" and that one little incident with Fritz escalated into a classic feud. After that I must have watched Dusty Rhodes a hundred times in numerous organizations, and every time I saw him I was entertained. Whether you loved him or hated him, he ALWAYS entertained. He always delivered the right thing at just the right time.

Many years ago I received an email asking me to describe Dusty Rhodes in 10 words or less. Here was my response: Charismatic, colorful, legend, genius, creative, leader, respected, mentor, teacher, great.

We'll leave it at that.

Thank you Dusty Rhodes, for all you did for wrestling. You will be missed. Thanks for the memories.

The Axeman has spoken.

No comments: