Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Axeman Speaks 8-12-07

The opinions expressed in this column do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Hollywood Jimmy Blaylock, the Webmaster, or anyone else connected with this site. They are mine, and mine alone. If you agree with me, OK, and if you don’t, that’s OK. The fact is, when Axeman speaks, everybody listens, and if you don’t like it, you can kiss the posterior part of my anatomy. Live with it.

Ladies and gentlemen, boys & girls, children of all ages, welcome to another edition of The Axeman Speaks. Lots to talk about this week, so let's cut to the chase....

How do you like the new look of the column? I would like to thank Tia for her assistance in all the changes.

First things first... I would like to take this opportunity to welcome two new contributors to the wrestling News Center. They are Stro and "Big Daddy" Storm. Both are excellent writers, and I look forward to reading their posts. If you have not seen their recent articles on the news board, check 'em out.

In my last column I talked about Lacey Von Erich joining WWE. She has recently reported to the WWE developmental organization in Florida. I will keep you posted as to her progress in the weeks to come.

I have intended to write a paragraph or two about the state of indy wrestling for several months, but have just not gotten around to it. I will not put it off any longer. Here we go....

I will start this segment about the state of indy wrestling with the quote of the week: "I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired of what is happening to the business that I have dedicated my entire adult life too. All of the drops of blood, sweat and tears that I have left on canvas' around the world will make it all worthwhile if I can just look back and see that the upcoming generation will ensure the propagation of the 'King of Sports.' Unfortunately, that isn't the case. I turn my head and look behind me and see that some independent promoters and talents are doing nothing but eradicating the legacy that myself and my peers have worked so hard to establish." -- Percy Pringle.

Several years ago Percy Pringle (real name William Moody) started a wrestling organization called Gulf South Wrestling. The organization was moderately successful and had a 22 month run, but it was not without problems. In a nutshell, Pringle closed GSW down a while back because of just that type of cancer he described above that is eating away at professional wrestling today. The attitude among many indy workers today is, "I want to do it all my way, I don't care what anyone wants or thinks." In Pringle's own words, from his blog: "Basically, the feeling was let’s get rid of Moody then we can do things our way."

Unfortunately, this is the attitude of many workers in indy organizations all across the country. Young punks who think they know it all, when they really do not know anything. In GSW's case, these guys had a golden opportunity. They had an individual in Percy Pringle who has been around the wrestling business just about all his life. He has worked in places like World Class Wrestling and WWE and all over. They had a golden opportunity to learn from this man. However, some wanted to do things their way, and considered Pringle to be a hindrance. Pringle finally had enough and shut his group down.

Now, I am not saying that all indy workers are guilty. There are some workers who are truly professionals. They will go out there and do what they are asked to do, and they don't belly ache about it. These are the guys who have learned from those who came before them, have paid their dues, and who have some respect for the business. These are NOT the workers I am talking about.

I am talking about the whining, selfish, "it's all about me and screw you" workers in indy wrestling who have never paid any dues and seem to want it all on a silver platter. I heard a young worker in a dressing room not long ago saying that if he was going to have to put another worker over, he was not coming back, because it was making him look bad and holding him back. I heard another worker just the other day bitching about the finish to a match and the angle he was involved in. Over and over and over again I hear the whining and snotting and crying from young guys who think they are ready for a belt around their waist, when what they really need is to shut up, learn a thing or two from guys who have been around for a while, and pay some dues. The world of wrestling does not revolve around you egotistical morons.

Another problem that plagues wrestling is promoters. I have heard promoters tell their workers that they cannot work for any other organization but theirs. I have seen promoters get mad and say that if a worker works for a certain other promotion then he is fired. I have seen workers get pissed off at the promoter of an organization he is working at, then go get his own promoter's license and open up a show down the road from where he was working. These guys are doing as much damage to indy wrestling as anyone else.

In the words of Percy Pringle: "I’ve seen it so many times. Wrestling destroys the very fabric of lifelong friendships, marriages, and lives. So many of my brothers have fallen by the wayside, and I vow that it will not happen to me. If I let it happen it would be a slap in the face of those that have put their trust and respect in me. So I decided to dissolve the GULF SOUTH WRESTLING Corporation completely. Friends, I saw this coming a long time ago. I just couldn’t allow it to steal anymore of my time." Unfortunately, that is the state of the majority of the indy wrestling scene.

There is hope, however, and I am encouraged by a number of indy organizations that are doing well and are being run right. These groups are being run by individuals who will not put up with the crap I have talked about above. These are organizations like All Pro, Wrestle Birmingham, ASWF, CWA, Championship Wrestling, Ring of Honor, and Chikara. Indy workers and promoters around the country need to take a long, hard look at these groups and see what makes them successful and then make some changes. Then maybe wrestling will be able to make a comeback.

OK, on to other things....

I was especially saddened to hear of the death yesterday of Bronko Lubich. Bronk was a friend to me in my younger days, and was someone who I truly admired and respected. He was never too busy to answer questions or help anyone who needed it. Lubich began his pro wrestling career in the late 1940's. Early in his career he was the valet/manager for Angelo Poffo. Later, he was best known for his in ring work as a tag team wrestler, teaming with Aldo Bogni, and later with Chris Markoff. When his in ring career was finally over, he became one of the most highly respected and sought after referees in the business. As a referee, he commanded respect in the ring. In fact, he is probably best remembered as a referee in World Class Wrestling. He was a solid, trustworthy, professional in every way. When he finally retired, he and his wife, Ella, intended to travel and enjoy retirement, but it was not to be. Both he and his wife were ill for a long time, and she passed away in 2004. Bronko Lubich passed away on August 11, 2007, in Dallas after a long illness. He is survived by his three daughters, Kathy, Maria, and Melanie, and their families. A true wrestling legend is gone. Thanks, Bronko Lubich, for the memories. R.I.P.

That’s all for this week. If you have any comments, feedback, criticism, insults, compliments, or whatever, email me at axemanchopchop@yahoo.com. Maybe I will respond. Maybe I will not.

No comments: