Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Axeman Speaks 8-16-07

The opinions expressed in this column do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Hollywood Jimmy Blaylock, the Webmaster, or anyone else connected with this site. They are mine, and mine alone. If you agree with me, OK, and if you don’t, that’s OK. The fact is, when Axeman speaks, everybody listens, and if you don’t like it, you can kiss the posterior part of my anatomy. Live with it.


This will be just a short column. There are a couple of topics I want to cover.


BTW, I will be on vacation this weekend in Missouri. I will not be posting results or news until I get back Tuesday.


A member of the Untied States Congress, specifically Rep. Cliff Stearns of the Commerce, Trade & Consumer Protection Subcommittee, has requested that TNA Wrestling and the National Wrestling Alliance turn over documents outlining their "drug-testing policies and efforts to detect and prevent the use of steroids and other drugs."


When asked why he was taking this action, Stearns said, "After I called for congressional hearings on the use of steroids and other drugs in professional wrestling, I have heard from wrestlers that steroids, pain killers, and other drugs are used frequently in the industry. Trafficking in steroids and other drugs is a felony and their use without a prescription is also a crime. In addition to ensuring that our laws are respected, Congress has a responsibility to protect young people from the harmful impact of drug use in pro wrestling. Some 1 million children under the age of 11 watch pro wrestling and many emulate the wrestlers they see."
(Partial Credit: http://www.wrestleview.com).


Now, I really don't know what, if any, policies NWA has on drug use, or what efforts they have made to stop the use of steroids and/or other illegal substances. TNA, on the other hand, has talked about implementing a wellness policy, but, to my knowledge, has not done so. The talk of implementing a wellness policy may be too little, too late. It will be interesting to find out what, if anything, TNA turns over to Stearns.

Changing the subject, I read in a post by D-Rock on the Wrestling News Center that Byron Robertson, better known in wrestling as The Missing Link, is very ill with cancer. I want to wish him the very best. I first saw The Missing Link at a Mid-South show at Barton Coliseum in Little Rock. After his match he did two diving head butts onto a chair in the ring. On a later show in Little Rock, his manager invited fans to come to ringside and give him chair shots to the forehead. He was one of the wildest, most unpredictable wrestlers I have ever seen. I'm telling you, that guy just wasn't right, LOL. He was very entertaining, and while he wrestled heel in most places, the fans loved him in Little Rock. Hang in there, Dewey. Get well soon. By the way, if you have not read D-Rock's post about The Missing Link, check it out. It's a good read.

An Irishman, a Mexican and GQ Maxim were doing construction work on scaffolding on the 20th floor of a new building. They were eating lunch and the Irishman said, "Corned beef and cabbage! If I get corned beef and cabbage one more time for lunch, I'm going to jump off this building." The Mexican opened his lunch box and exclaimed, "Burritos again! If I get burritos one more time, I'm jumping too." GQ Maxim opened his lunch and said, "Bologna again! If I get a bologna sandwich one more time, I'm jumping too." The next day, the Irishman opened his lunch box, saw corned beef and cabbage, and jumped to his death. The Mexican opened his lunch, saw a burrito, and jumped, too. GQ Maxim opened his lunch, saw the bologna, and jumped to his death as well. At the funeral, the Irishman's wife was weeping. She said, "If I'd known how really tired he was of corned beef and cabbage, I never would have given it to him again!" The Mexican's wife also wept and said, "I could have given him tacos or enchiladas! I didn't realize he hated burritos so much." Everyone turned and stared at GQ's wife. GQ's wife said, "Don't look at me! He always made his own lunch."

From time to time I add something to this column that has absolutely nothing to do with wrestling. This is one of those tomes. You see, this is my blog, and I can post anything here that I want to, and YOU, dear readers, will read it, even if only out of curiosity. And besides, if David Burcham can talk about topics that are not wrestling related, so can I. Seriously, I found it interesting, so I thought you might also. Here it is:

The Story of Two Houses
House #1: A 20 room mansion (not including 8 bathrooms) heated by natural gas. Add on a pool (and a pool house) and a separate guest house, all heated by gas. In one month this residence consumes more energy than the average American household does in a year. The average bill for electricity and natural gas runs over $2400. In natural gas alone, this property consumes more than 20 times the national average for an American home. This house is not situated in a Northern or Midwestern "snow belt" area. It's in the South.

House #2: Designed by an architecture professor at a leading national university, this house incorporates every "green" feature current home construction can provide. The house is 4,000 square feet (4 bedrooms) and is nestled on a high prairie in the American southwest. A central closet in the house holds geothermal heat-pumps drawing ground water through pipes sunk 300 feet into the ground. The water, usually 67 degrees F., heats the house in the winter and cools it in the summer. The system uses no fossil fuels such as oil or natural gas and it consumes one-quarter electricity required for a conventional heating/cooling system. Rainwater from the roof is collected and funneled into a 25,000 gallon underground cistern. Waste water from showers, sinks and toilets goes into underground purifying tanks and then into the cistern. The collected water then irrigates the land surrounding the house. Surrounding flowers and shrubs native to the area enable the property to blend into the surrounding rural landscape.

HOUSE #1 is outside of Nashville, Tennessee. It is the abode of "environmentalist" Al Gore.

HOUSE #2 is on a ranch near Crawford, Texas. It is the residence of the of the President of the United States, George W. Bush.

I will be back some time next week with another update.

That’s all for this week. If you have any comments, feedback, criticism, insults, compliments, or whatever, email me at axemanchopchop@yahoo.com. Maybe I will respond. Maybe I will not. Try me and see!

The Axeman has spoken.

No comments: